[History of Queenstown] – History of the Great Island, Ancient Cove and Modern Queenstown. Being the substance of a lecture by the Late Venerable Archdeacon Dennehy, formerly curate and administrator of Queenstown Parish.
Revised, annotated and supplemented (Second Impression). Cork, Guy & Co. Ltd., 1923. Octavo. Frontispice-Portrait, IX, 110 pages. With photographic illustrations. Original publisher’s Hardcover. Unusually excellent condition. Very Rare in any condition but extremely scarce in this condition ! Important: This rare original edition from 1923, comes together with the ultimate edition of this book, published by Tower Books in Cork in 1990. The “New Illustrated Edition”, which has also added a “Pictorial Section” with “original photographs, taken by Mr.Luke Cassidy and the late Mr.James Jasper Wilson” [these photographs were in neither, the first or second edition present].
Illustrations are showing: A facsimile of the original Handbill handed out for the lecture / Barry’s Court Castle / Belvelly Castle / Ballymacshaneroe Castle / Old Parish Chapel (taken down in 1868) / Cobh in 1844 / Queenstown in 1894 / St.Colman’s Cathedral – Consecrated in 1919 //
Essays include for example: The Great Island in Pagan and early Christian Times / Modern Queenstown / Lather Catholic Records of the Town and Island / The Geology and Botany of the Great Island – The Climate of Queenstown / Townlands and Place Names of the Great Island – Street Nomenclature of Queenstown – Notable Houses / The Great Island Graveyards / Antiquities and Traditions / Ancient Customs / Further Annals of Queenstown and the Great Island (ending with 1920) etc.