Blessed Mary of Saint Euphrasia Pelletier, First Superior-General of the Congregation of our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd of Angers.
London, Burns Oates & Washbourne Ltd., 1933. 14 x 22cm. (8), 419 pages, with black and white plates. Original hardcover. Spine faded, minor signs of shelf wear, otherwise excellent condition. Pre-owner’s stamp on title page.
Saint Mary Euphrasia (July 31, 1796 – April 29, 1868) was born Rose Virginia Pelletier. She founded the Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd, more commonly known as Sisters of the Good Shepherd. She was born on an island off the coast of France where her parents had been exiled by the French Revolutionaries. At the age of 18, Rose Virginie joined the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity in Tours, France, and received the name Mary Euphrasia. The Order of Our Lady of Charity cared for girls and women in difficulty. While superior at Tours, Sr. Mary Euphrasia formed a contemplative group of sisters, the Sisters Magdelen (now known as the Contemplatives of the Good Shepherd), for penitent women who wished to live a cloistered life. In 1829, St. Mary Euphrasia traveled to Angers at the request of the Bishop to establish a home in his Diocese. She was given permission to found the congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd, and on April 3, 1835 she became the first Superior General of the Congregation of the Good Shepherd of Angers. Mary Euphrasia was Mother General of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd for 33 years. By the time of her death in Angers, France, in 1868 she had established 110 Good Shepherd convents around the world. Mary Euphrasia was beatified on April 30, 1933 and canonized as a saint by Pope Pius XII in 1940. Her feast day is April 24. [Sisters of the Good Shepherd]